So, What do I mean by Merciful Refinement?

 For a few years now I have been considering doing this blog. I have struggled to get started for many reasons, the main one being I am not good with words! So many times I will know what I want to say but I am just not quite sure how to get the thoughts out in sensible words. However, recently this idea of "merciful refinement" has been on my heart so much that I decided to just jump in and give it a try.

So, what do I mean by merciful refinement? Trials are like refining fire. Refining fire transforms, molds, and purifies. As I look back over the trials (both big and small) in my life and the lives of those close to me I have noticed that, although not enjoyable at all, they have a way of bringing us closer to God, making us more like Christ, and giving us a greater understanding of God, ourselves, and others. I see that as a great mercy from the Lord! Praise God, He doesn't leave us as we are!

Sometimes it takes heat and pressure in our lives to shape us into who we should be in Christ. Just like Heat + Clay=Porcelain and Hot water + Leaves=Tea. However, none of us really want to go through trials! In areas where wildfires are common they use wide spaces in landscaping called firebreaks that are put into place to keep wildfires from spreading. We must take care not to do the same in our hearts to protect us from the refining fire of God! We must be willing to give all of our hearts and lives over to God for him to mold us into who He wants us to be. Think about those areas where you might be resistant to the refiner's fire and pray that God will help you trust him with them all.

Often times it is easy for me to get overwhelmed by the problems in my own life or the world around me. I tend to want to put blinders on so that I don't have to deal with the problems of life. This can lead to times of apathy for me. I can get to a point where I simply look over my own sin and brokenness. Confessing our sins is another way we are refined. It is not easy to admit our failings and just how needy we are. When we realize just how much we need mercy it cam be freeing. It can free us up to show mercy to someone who has wronged us. It can free us up to grow in our faith. It can free us up to be who God calls us to be in Christ. Confessing our sin brings about healing. Ask the Lord to take the blinders off so that you can see your sin more clearly. Spend time confessing your sin to the Lord. 

So my goal with this blog is to share my thoughts, my heart really, on how the refining fires of trials, confession, and difficult circumstances are a mercy from the Lord. My prayer is that those who read will be encouraged to face difficulties in life with courage and hope, knowing God is working in them for their good and His glory!

Grace and Peace ~ Jeanette

 But who can endure the day of his coming? And who will be able to stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner’s fire and like launderer’s bleach. He will be like a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver. Then they will present offerings to the Lord in righteousness. Malachi 3:2-3

God, create a clean heart for me
and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

 Consider it a great joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you experience various trials, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing. James 1:2-4

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The urgent request of a righteous person is very powerful in its effect. James 5:16

Yet I call this to mind, and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD’s faithful love we do not perish, for his mercies never end. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness! I say, “The LORD is my portion, therefore I will put my hope in him.” Lamentations 3:21-24


Comments

Popular Posts